The Home Reverse Osmosis Systems are filtering systems famous for their capacity to purify water. If you want to have clean and healthy water for your family, it is time to purchase such a device.
So how much do whole-home reverse osmosis systems cost? The price varies from system to another according to size, amount of purified water, the number of filters, ease of installation, extra parts, and brand.
Leaving aside the installation and maintenance costs, you should be prepared to invest between $300 and over $1,000. In case you want more complex and powerful systems, you may end up spending more than $10,000. Installation costs vary between $0 and over $500, depending on the amount of plumbing work.
Factors Which Influence the Price of a Whole Home RO System
There are numerous variables which influence the price of an RO system. We have taken into consideration the most important of them.
Size and Dimensions
Simple systems, whether countertop or under the sink, have the lowest prices. For around $200 or less, you can purchase an item to connect to your kitchen tap.
Whole-home reverse osmosis systems have to cover the needs of an entire household. The technology behind them is more complicated, and they occupy more space. It is not a wonder that the more robust have prices that exceed $12,000.
Tip for Buyers: calculate the amount of water you use before deciding on a specific size for your RO system; for home use, just multiply the number of people in your household with 75, which represents the gallons of water an average American consumes per day.
Another critical parameter is the flow rate, which shows the gallons of water produced per minute. If its value is too low, you will have to face pressure problems.
The size of a whole home RO system also depends on the number of hours it runs per day, water temperature, and the percentage of total dissolved solids.
Number of Components and Features
All reverse osmosis systems function on the same principles. The larger ones have more components because they serve a whole residence, a farm or a small business.
Most standard home RO systems have the following main parts, each with its subcomponents.
The Pre-Filtering System may consist of one or more filters. Most machines have a special filter which separates the sediments from the liquid. The presence of a carbon filter is also common. These components have the purpose of protecting the membrane against particles, dirt, and chlorine.
The Reverse Osmosis Unit has an inlet through which the water enters the device. The pump generates the pressure needed for the liquid to pass through the membrane. This holds back more than 98% of the impurities present in water.
The Tank is a depressurized place where the purified liquid is kept. There are two float valves which maintain the water at a suitable level.
Not all systems have this feature. Households with reduced water consumption should take into consideration the RO devices without a tank.
The Repressurization System consists of a pump and an under-pressure tank.
The Post-Filtering System has in its composition one or more carbon filters. They eliminate any possible taste from the purified water.
The Control Panel which allows humans to access commands and supervise the device.
There are RO units which have recycling valves, float balls, flow meters to measure purified and wasted water, automatic flush, bypass valve, an antiscalant system, and spectraguard pumps.
Stages of Filtration
Regarding the filters, most specialists agree that four should be enough to remove all harmful substances.
Tip for Buyers: test your water first and then purchase additional filters.
The alkaline filters are not compulsory for the reverse osmosis process. They release in the purified water the useful minerals lost during the reversed osmosis.
Plus, they diminish the level of alkalinity in your water. The calcite filters increase the pH levels lowered by the action of the osmotic membrane.
Costs Related to Installation and Maintenance
A Whole-House Reverse Osmosis System is not a simple tap which can be installed by an amateur.
To make sure that the connections to the water network and plumbs are solid, you should call an authorized plumber or a contractor. Depending on the effort and additional materials, the prices can exceed $1.000.
Remember that the filters and the membrane do the hard work. For this reason, you will have to replace them. Professionals claim that a filter functions at its full capacity for six months.
The membrane starts to lose its properties after two years of use. If your research shows you that the system gets worn-out sooner, then you should reconsider your option.
Different Types of Reverse Osmosis Systems Cost
Due to technological advancement, it is possible to purchase an RO device which suits both your needs and your home.
Under the Sink Whole Home RO Systems without an Atmospheric Tank
The prices for these types of RO System usually start at around $300 and may exceed $2,500. One of the best representatives of this category is the iSpring RCS5T 500 developed for both house and light commercial use.
- 5-STAGE FILTERS: 1-3rd stages remove rust, sand, chlorine, disinfection byproducts and odor. 4th stage RO Membrane removes heavy metals, pesticide residues, etc. 5th Stage removes chlorine, tastes to improve the quality of drinking water.
- GREAT CAPACITY: Advanced 500GPD membrane saves 60% of water, with LOW WASTE 1.5:1 pure to drain water ratio. Great for light commercial in Restaurants, Salons, Labs, and Offices all benefit in their ways from high-quality RO water.
- HIGH EFFICIENCY BOOSTER PUMP: No worries for low water pressure. Built in booster pump increases the production of purified water by raising the water pressure and maximizes RO production rate to the optimal level for the reverse osmosis process.
- FEATURES: Come with Sliver Chrome drinking water faucet with 360° free swivel and Easy to Read Water Pressure Gauge.
- EASY-TO-INSTALL AND REPLACE FILTER: Typically, in a couple of hours with industry-leading help just a phone call away with well-organized instructions and videos. Clear see-through 1st stage housing makes filter inspection a snap.
This system has a dual membrane and a powerful pump which make the presence of a tank unnecessary. It is possible to add a water storage device in case you want to purchase the iSpring RCS5T 500 for a small-sized drive-in or a food parlor.
It can deliver 500 gallons of purified water in a single day. This quantity is influenced by the number of impurities in water, temperature, and other variables.
The double-flow membrane and the five filters eliminate more than 1,000 substances which are harmful to your health. It gives you a 1 to 1 ratio, which means less wasted water.
This device was developed to fulfill the necessities of large households with numerous members or small-sized firms.
Floor Stand Whole House Reverse Osmosis Devices
Once again, the displayed prices vary according to brand and features. You can purchase an item for $500 or over $3,000.
The one we give the thumbs up is the WECO HydroSense RO Water Filter System .
- Reverse osmosis drinking water purification system for residential and light commercial applications
- Sediment and compressed carbon block pre-filtration removes tiny particles like rust, silt, taste and odor-causing chemicals like chlorine, chloramine and rotten-egg odors.
- Standard 1812 Volume Thin Film Composite reverse osmosis membrans removes up to 98.5% of water contaminants like nitrate, TDS, fluoride, lead, sodium and mercury.
- Ideal for residential drinking water use, medical offices, laboratories, schools, aquariums and hydroponic growing operations. Automated water pressure sensors and booster pumps keep system functioning at maximum capacity.
- Please note this is not a complete whole house reverse osmosis system. Atmospheric tanks, jet pumps and other equipment need to be purchased separately for turning this system into a part of whole house RO setup. Read our whole house RO setup blog and contact us for more information before purchasing for whole house applications.
This machine produces 500 gallons of clear water per day at an amazing recovery rate of 50%. The pre-filtration network made of two filters – 1 for sediments and 1 for carbon- removes a considerable amount of particles. After passing through them, the flow of water is free from unpleasant smells, chlorine, and dust particles.
The automatic sensors give information on pressure, and the strong pumps allow the smooth circulation of the liquid.
This system offers enough clean water for large houses, small breweries, doctor offices, and educational facilities.
Modular Whole House Reverse Osmosis Systems
The modular devices are perfect for those who want to do a bit of DIY work and install the RO system by themselves.
Our top pick for this category is the 1000 GPD Whole House Reverse Osmosis System.
- About Crystal Quest Whole House Reverse Osmosis System: The Crystal Quest Whole House Reverse Osmosis System is an effective and dependable water filter system that delivers great-tasting, filtered water throughout your entire home. This system will remove contaminants, and dissolved solids from your water supply using advanced osmosis reverse technology, leaving you with clean, refreshing water that tastes great.
- Product Benefits: This system is made & factory tested in the USA. It is manufactured with easily accessible and modifiable components.
- Storage Tank Kit: This RO system can come as a standalone unit or with a storage tank kit.. The storage tank kit includes a reboosterizer pump, float switches, and storage tank.Atmospheric storage tanks are available in 165 and 220 gallons.. A Pump to remove water from the tank, and Float Switches to control the RO system according to the level of the tank’s water.
- Usage: Whole house reverse osmosis systems are used to supply pure water throughout the entire home (faucets, appliances, etc).The Reboosterizer boosts pressure & delivers filtered water from the tank into the dwelling. Float switches signal the system to replenish water back to the original tank level.
- About Crystal Quest: We provide quality products and excellent customer service. We participate in all phases of water treatment technology, ranging from product research and development, innovative design, and advanced engineering, to manufacturing. This has led to our expansion and growth since the start of our operation.
It has a spacious, atmospheric tank which can hold up 550 gallons of liquid at once. The pump and the switches keep the system working, giving you pure water on demand.
The pre-filters and the membrane remove all types of impurities, including herbicides, iron, chlorine, and mercury. As a result, the health of your family will be protected, and your appliances will have a longer life.
Whole House RO Systems with Digital Meters
These devices offer soft and clean water all over your house. You can wash your laundry without fearing rust spots.
The Fleck 5600XT Water Softener and RO System have a top-notch digital meter, which gives you more accurate information on the quantity of water in the tank.
- ★ POPULAR FLECK 5600SXT Whole House Water Softener System Using More Chlorine Resistant 10% Crosslink Resin
- ★ CHLORINE REMOVAL – 1.5 Cubic Foot Upflow Catalytic Carbon Filter to Remove Chlorine, Chloramines, Pesticides, Herbicides, and other harmful Chemicals
- ★ USE LESS WASTE WATER WITH OUR GREEN RO! – High Efficiency 75 Gallon Per Day Reverse Osmosis For Purified Drinking Water! Uses Only 1 Gallon of Waste Water Per Gallon Made!
- ★ EASY QUICK INSTALLATION KIT – 3/4″ Quick Connect Flexible Stainless Steel Hoses Cuts Installation Time In Half! (Avg Time – 2 Hours)
The powerful filters and the membrane prevent chlorine, pesticides, and other dangerous substance from invading your water network. It is an environmentally friendly device, having a 1 to 1 waste water ratio.
With a membrane that gives 75 gallons of clear water at the kitchen sink, this system is a wise investment. It comes in handy for a house with two or three bathrooms.
The manufacturers do not recommend it for residences that use wells as water suppliers.
Whole-Home Reverse Osmosis System with a Booster Pump
A booster pump increases the pressure of the water against the osmotic membrane. As a result, more clean liquid comes out from the device at a faster pace.
The iSpring RCB3P 300 Reverse Osmosis Water System is a perfect sample of this class. Its huge filters with a diameter of 20 can clean 30,000 gallons of water per day.
- High capacity Reverse Osmosis systems removes up to 99% of over 1, 000 contaminants and hardness, including lead (removes up to 98% of lead), chlorine, fluoride, arsenic, asbestos, calcium, sodium and more.
- Freestanding Stainless Steel Frame and Metal hanging bracket. Makes your installation and filter changes easier while adding a protective buffer for your system
- Super-efficient RO membranes combine to provide up to 300 gallons of purified reverse osmosis water daily. Rejects wide spectrum of impurities down to .0001 micron.
- Built in booster pump increases the production of purified water by raising the water pressure. Compatible with 11 or 20 gallon iSpring storage tank. TANK NOT INCLUDED.
- Great for light commercial use in Restaurants, salons, labs, and offices all benefit in their own ways from high quality RO water.
The three osmotic membranes give 300 gallons of permeate in a single day. Besides, the booster pump gets the pressure up to 95 psi.
The iSpring RCB3P 300 is suitable for large estates with lots of rooms and several bathrooms. It covers the needs of restaurants, breweries, beauty parlors, nail bars, and laboratories.
The whole home reverse osmosis systems cost varies according to size, amount of purified water, the number of filters, ease of installation, extra parts, and brand, so you should do some previous research and compare the products on the market, hope this article will help you to find the perfect RO system for your home.